Tuesday, November 15, 2011

From the Hammock - Day 6

We have now moved rooms and are one step closer to the sea and the pool with a new view. Mostly we have the place to ourselves and feel almost intruded upon when other people show up. A couple came wandering in from the main road, in search of a pirate’s cave they were told was on the rugged beach below us. Who knew?  Yesterday we spent a few hours on the beach then picked up a couple of Cuban sandwiches from a place I had read about called Qubano’s. While waiting for our sandwiches, we chatted with a young couple that had just arrived. Being seasoned Isla-ers after six whole days here we happily shared our  island wisdom. Back at our hotel we dug into our sandwiches and they were everything everyone said they would be –yummy!

We went to bed ridiculously early last night. The intention was just to nap and then get up but I could not drag myself out of my comfortable spot. Of course, I was up at a crazy early time as a result. I will need to force myself to stay awake until at least 9:00 so I am not awake and raring to go at 4:00 am.

During one of our walks around Isla we came upon a cemetery. What a striking contrast it is to our cemeteries back home where the only color you may see is the odd faded bouquet of flowers left by a grey gravestone.  This cemetery, in typical Mexican fashion, was a kaleidoscope of colors. As one friend put it when I showed her a picture, “I want to play there;” that pretty much captured it for me.  The grave markers varied from being small and simple to being over-the-top ornate. All of the graves were above ground and it was very crowded. Making my way around, I was careful where I stepped as I did not want to be disrespectful.  Each of the graves was very personally tended to, many with fresh coats of paint. The graves had gifts left for the deceased, personal items and even the odd bottle of something or other. I’m not quite sure how to describe the feeling you get here but one thing it is not, is sad.  Even though we did not see anyone else when we were there, you just knew that the cemetery was visited often.
November 2nd is Day of the Dead or All Souls Day and on this day burial plots are decorated and special foods are prepared and taken to the departed, along with various alcoholic beverages. This would explain the empty glasses I saw at many of the plots.

I have always balked at the thought of being buried in the ground and having family and friends feel obligated to visit me. The Mexicans have the right idea. Good food and booze in a happy little community is the way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment