Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dongles and Doohickies

I am now in last minute kerfuffle mode. It didn’t help that when I got home yesterday my neatly packed suitcase was all unraveled. Seems Mr. Granny Pants was in desperate need of Gravol due to self inflicted over indulgence from the night before. So now not only do I need to reorganize my carefully packed suitcase, I now need to shop for Gravol.
Getting ready to go on a trip never used to be this complicated.  Pack your suitcase, make sure you have your travel books and off you go. Not so anymore. I have spent the last three days just getting all my electronics sorted out.  Right now my home PC looks like some kind of science fiction project with all the gadgets extending out of it. There is the digital camera being charged, the ipod being synced, the external hard drive being loaded with stuff and the Netbook and e-reader being charged and updated. In order for all your electronics to work you have to remember the dongles and the thingamabobs that hook into the whatchamacallits.  And whatever you do, don’t forget your Doohickey or else you may as well just leave everything at home.
 You also need to make sure you have all your apps. I remember when all you needed to get by was your little pocketbook translator. Not so anymore. Now you need your apps. You have apps to translate, apps to convert currency, apps to track your flights, apps to tell you what attractions are nearby, etc. etc. etc.  Need to know when it’s time to go to the bathroom? There’s an app for that.
My next few blog entries will be brought to you “From the Hammock” so check back often. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment